In our process to being more local, I have stopped purchasing my "bag o' chicken breasts" from Sam's. They were my staple. I have found a local farmer with reasonable chicken, and tried this great recipe for roasting a whole chicken. Ry loved it - "better than any rotisserie chicken" and he's requested it again! I'm proud that I also made stock from the carcass and will post that later!
2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 tbsp dried)
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 whole chicken (3-4 lbs), rinsed and patted dry
2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine thyme, salt and pepper and blend into a rub.
- Prep chicken by removing giblets and loosen skin with fingertips, including thighs and drumsticks.
- Rub thyme mixture under skin and season cavities with additional salt and pepper.
- Tuck wings under breast and tie legs with kitchen twine (so chicken cooks easily and keeps shape).
- Place chicken on rimmed baking sheet (lined with foil) or roasting rack and rub with oil.
- Roast for about 1 hour until thermometer reads165 degrees (in thickest part of thigh, not next to bone). Baste occasionally and when you remove from oven.uj jl
- Let chicken rest 10 minutes and serve.
Modified from this recipe