Okay, I've been craving this for awhile. And now the weather is cold enough, and I think this may be the most perfect comfort food! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!!
6 tbsp butter
1 lb sirloin or tenderloin, cut into 1 inch wide by 2 inch long strips (or beef for stir-fry)
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1/2 lb cremini mushrooms, sliced
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp dry tarragon
1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- Melt 3 tbsp butter in large skillet on medium. Increase to medium-high and cook beef. Cook quickly, and you may wish to do in 2 batches. While cooking, season with salt and pepper and cook until browned. Remove when done and place on a plate.
- In same pan, reduce heat to medium and add onions. Cook until tender (a couple minutes) and scrape up meat drippings. Place onions on same plate as beef.
- In the same pan, melt additional 3 tbsp butter. Increase heat to medium-high and add mushrooms. Add nutmeg and tarragon, and cooking until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add sour cream to mushrooms. To thin sauce, you may wish to add 1 or 2 tbsp of water. Mix sour cream thoroughly and do not allow it to simmer or boil (cream will curdle).
- Stir in beef and onions. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately with egg noodles.