I've been wanting to make this recipe for awhile. But, I don't have a springform (cheesecake) pan. My good friend Rachel lent me hers, so here it is. We had this tonight and it was yummy! I even made it ahead of time, so it was waiting in the fridge and then I baked it when we were ready to eat!
To save extra money, I cooked dried beans and froze them (last month). And the green onions came from our garden! yea!
If you use regular tortillas (like I did), you will have extra of the bean/corn mixture. I just froze mine - I think it will make a great dip for chips or layer in my next quesadilla.
4 flour tortillas (I used regular, but to fit the pan you should get burrito size)
2 tbsp oil (olive, grapeseed, etc.)
1 medium to large onion, diced1 jalapeno chile, ribs and seeds removed (for less heat)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp cuminsalt and pepper
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed (or 4 cups cooked beans)
12 oz beer or 1 1/2 cup water (I used Shiner Oktoberfest)
1 package (10 oz) frozen corn
4 green onions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
8 oz cheddar, colby jack or jack cheese, grated (about 2 1/2 cups)
cilantro, for garnish (optional)
salsa and sour cream (optional, for serving)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- If using burrito (10 inch) tortillas, trim to fit in springform pan (use base as guide). Set aside.
- Heat oil in large skilled over medium. Add onion, jalapeno, garlic and cumin. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring often, until onions are softened.
- Add beans and beer. Raise temperature to high and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until beer is almost evaporated.
- If you wish to have a less "beany" pie, mash about half of the beans at this time. Then check seasonings and add corn and green onions. Remove from heat.
- Place tortilla on bottom of springform pan. Add 1/4 of bean mixture and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat for next 3 layers, and place 1 cup cheese on top layer.
- At this point, you can refrigerate or bake.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Remove sides of pan. Sprinkle with additional green onions and/or cilantro, if desired. Cut into wedges and serve with salsa and sour cream.