Well, is has been while. I still have been cooking, but lazy with the blog. Sorry. I'm back, so get ready! I made this last night, and it was great! Nate inhaled it! If you don't like mushrooms, just double the bacon (or just double it anyway, I only had a little on hand).
3 oz bacon (4 slices), sliced 1 inch thick
3 oz mushrooms (about 5), sliced
1 lb spaghetti
1/2 cup Parmesan or Romano cheese, grated (plus more for serving)
1/2 cup milk or half and half
1 cup peas, thawed
fresh ground back pepper
1/2 cup of pasta cooking water
- Set large pot of water to boil.
- Cook bacon in medium skillet until crisp (8-10 minutes).
- Salt water and cook pasta until al dente.
- Remove most of bacon grease and cook mushrooms until browned. Season with a little salt.
- In large bowl, whisk eggs, cheese and milk.
- Drain pasta (leave some water clinging to it). Quickly add to egg mixture.
- Add bacon, mushrooms and peas. Mix.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- If carbonara is thick, add some pasta water to thin it out.
- Serve immediately with extra cheese.