I must confess, I'm not much of a baker. But this recipe is super easy, and you always have the ingredients on hand. My mom told me it came from the WWII era, when eggs were limited. It is super yummy, and delicious with ice cream or whipped cream on top! Seriously, we have made it twice in the past week!!
1½ cups flour
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
½ tsp salt
5 tbsp oil (canola, walnut, grapeseed)
1 tbsp vinegar (white, apple cider, etc.)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put the flour back into a sifter and add the cocoa, baking soda sugar and salt (you can use a strainer if you have no sifter).
- Sift this right into a greased square cake pan, 8x8 or 9x9.
- Make 3 groves or holes in this dry mixture.
- Into one, pour the oil.
- Into the next, the vinegar
- Into the third, the vanilla.
- Pour the cold water over the entire mixture.
- You will feel like you are making mud pies now, but beat it with a spoon until nearly smooth and can no longer see the flour.
- Bake for 30 minutes.