I love quiche. But, my husband thought of it as "girlie food", and I really shouldn't eat a whole pie by myself. I have since convinced him how yummy they are, and this recipe is great since you use your pantry and freezer staples! This is my vegetarian version, but feel free to add ham if you wish.
1 refrigerated pie crust (1/2 a box)
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
1/4 cup flour
1 cup cheese, shredded (cheddar, colby, monterrey jack, swiss, or any combination)
1 box (10 oz) frozen spinach (thawed and drained) or 6 oz fresh spinach, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp pepper
dash of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place pie crust in pie pan. Cover with 2 layers of foil.
- Bake for 8 minutes covered and then 4 additional uncovered. This will make for an unsoggy crust.
- Squeeze out thawed spinach of any excess water. If using fresh spinach, place in a colander and run hot water over for 30 seconds. Squeeze dry and then it is ready (and partially cooked).
- Whisk together milk, eggs, and flour in a large bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese, spinach, and spices.
- Pour mixture in hot pie shell and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Reduce heat of oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean. Cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.